Seven Steps to Avoid Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are incredibly common, but if you are prone to hemorrhoids, you understand how uncomfortable and embarrassing the itchiness or pain can be. Follow these 7 tips for avoiding hemorrhoids.
- Eat Enough Fiber: Not having a sufficient amount of fiber can cause constipation and can lead to pressure being placed on the veins in the rectum and anal canal which will eventually lead to hemorrhoid formation.
- Don’t Overdo it at the Gym: Don’t strain yourself at the gym by lifting heavy weights or other objects. Instead, relax and focus on your form to prevent potential hemorrhoid development.
- Avoid Sitting Too Long: Prolonged sitting can put pressure on the veins and lead to more hemorrhoids while exercising makes the pressure on the veins less. Just make sure you’re not over-exerting yourself.
- Drink Enough Water: Not drinking enough water can make the stool harder and cause constipation. That’s why its always important to stay hydrated.
- Avoid Squatting Too Much: Squatting for more than 5 minutes at a time can be a bad idea and this includes going to the bathroom. Too much squatting causes more problematic hemorrhoids.
- Skip Spin Class: Biking applies pressure to your hemorrhoids and can be problematic. If you spend a lot of time biking or at spin class, you run the risk of aggravating the hemorrhoids.
- Avoid Spicy Foods: Hemorrhoids can be caused by constipation or diarrhea. Eating too much spicy food opens your risk of developing a hemorrhoid while maintaining a healthy dose of fiber will decrease your chances.
Schedule an Appointment
If you are dealing with problematic hemorrhoids that just won’t go away, there are treatment options available including surgical options. To schedule an appointment with Main Line Gastroenterology Associates, call us today at (610) 644-6755.